Peace, beauty
and a balance of harmony reigned on our land since its creation. In the earliest
days the land and its animal inhabitants coexisted and offered the rudiments
of life for the first humans. Tranquility survived and reminders of these
early days remain with us if only we stop to see and remember.
The Borough of Laurel Springs is
located in Southern New Jersey about 14 miles from the Walt Whitman Bridge
that connects Philadelphia to New Jersey. Its main roads were once the only
way from Philadelphia to the shore and many people stopped and stayed in
Laurel Springs instead of continuing on south. Walt Whitman had a house here
and you can read about it in the following biography. Most people pass through
our town without even noticing on the way to the Park, Clementon Amusement
Park on our southern boarder. There is a lot of history here and plenty of
beauty for all to see. In the center of town is Gray Stone Mansion an old
castle built by Samuel S. Cord in the mid 1800's and now serves as the police
station for the town.
There is a revitalization taking
place in this quaint little community with many new business moving into
town. Come, visit and see the beautiful Laurel Springs community in South
Jersey. Click on the next link to see a list of merchants you will find in
Laurel Springs.
To read more about the history of
Laurel Springs please read on. We have included some history about our town
and are currently working on a better format. As time permits we will add
more information about our history and the community.
Quakers set tone for early life
This land first belonged to the
Lenni-Lenape Indians who came from west of the Mississippi River. When the
early settlers arrived in the 1600s, relations with the Indians here were
better than in any other colony. No record of fighting exists. The Dutch
and Swedes first settled in southern Jersey with only the Swedes leaving
a permanent settlement. The King of England also claimed title to the land
due to its discovery in 1497 by John Cabot. The name New Jersey honors the
tiny Isle of Jersey in the English Channel. The king gave two Englishmen
all land between Manhattan and the Delaware River; they in turn sold the
southern part, called West Jersey. to the Quakers. Three Quaker trustees
were appointed, including William Penn who had been interested in the Jersey
area even before he was granted Pennsylvania. He deserves credit for establishing
sound laws with representative government and religious freedom. The early
Quakers set a precedent, not only- in their fair dealings with the Indians,
but with their honesty, industry and respect for the rights and beliefs of
others. The Quaker Proprietors divided West Jersey into ten parts. called
"Tenths." The area including Laurel Springs was the Third Tenth. In 1694
the Tenths became counties, and the Third and Fourth Tenths became Old Gloucester
County. (Camden County separated from Gloucester County in 1844. and Laurel
Springs was a part of Clementon Township until 1913.) The Tomlinson name
dominates early history in this area. Joseph Tomlinson came to the Newton
Settlement of the Third Tenth in 1686 where he apprenticed in the dyeing
trade. In 1690 he married and located on 117 acres on the east side of Gravelly
Run on the Blackwood-Clementon Road. In 29 years he increased his holdings,
became Sheriff of Gloucester County, then King's Attorney and raised 10 children
- a much repeated American story.
William I. Tomlinson's farm located
on Glendale Road is the site of the present Echelon Mall. An early map of
Camden County shows a large part of the land beyond Hidden Lake to Glendale
as owned by the Tomlinson's.
Ephraim Tomlinson's son, another
-Ephraim (1695~1780), purchased 619 acres lying on both sides of Timber Creek,
part of which lies in the present boundaries of Laurel Springs. And it was
still another Ephraim (1806-1893) great-great-grandson of Joseph Tomlinson
who built a grist and sawmill in 1834 on the banks of Timber Creek. just
west of the present dam site. It was the largest mill in this area south
of the White Horse Pike.
Three farms make up town boundaries
In 1844 Ephraim Tomlinson built
his home. the Brick Mansion, which is now a YWCA. Around the mill and mansion
he began a small community consisting of a slaughter house, about 12 homes
for his workers and the Schoolhouse on the Hill south of the creek. Owner
of three farms and three stores, his mule teams served the iron and glass
factories throughout South Jersey.
Because of the dense growth of laurel
all about, he chose the name Laurel Mills. Soon both the beautiful lake that
formed behind the mill dam and the general area became known as Laurel Mills.
A dirt road that wound down one hill, over the creek, past the dam and climbed
the opposite hill became Laurel Mills Road. Ephraim Tomlinson's mill community
marks the beginning of Laurel Springs as it is today.
Before 1877 when the railroad was
built, three farms and a pasture formed the present boundaries of Laurel
Springs two farms of Montgomery Statford totaling 187 acres and separated
by Stone Road (then called Clementon Road), one farm of Benjamin A. Tomlinson
and a pasture of Richard Kaighn, north of Stone Road on the west side of
the railroad.
At this time there were probably only three farm houses and a residence in
the area -
1. the Old Earle Homestead where the school now stands
2. the Walt Whitman House. 305 Maple Avenue, one of the Stafford Farms
3. Tomlinson farmhouse across front the present YWCA (now torn down)
4. the Tomlinson residence. west of Lakeview Avenue on Laurel Road
Railroad leads the way
It was the building of the railroad
that made it easier to reach this area, made the lake more popular as a summer
resort and encouraged real estate development. The Philadelphia & Atlantic
City Railroad, chartered March 26, 1876, completed a single narrow gauge
track in 1877.Competition between this line and the Camden & Atlantic
City Railroad which ran through Kirkwood, practically ruined both. In 1883
the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad purchased the former and rebuilt
a standard gauge track. A new station on Atlantic Ave. was built a short
time later. In the earliest timetables, the stop was Laurel, a box car station
at Laurel Mills Road. Fare to Atlantic City was as low as 50 cents, and the
famous Boardwalk Flyer made history by traveling the 55 miles between Camden
and Atlantic City in less than 50 minutes. It was the pride of the United
States. Soon the Pennsylvania Railroad. which took over the Camden &
Atlantic City line, tried to better the record and raced the Reading train
on long stretches below Hammonton where each was visible.
In the early 1900's the Campbell
Back type replaced the Flyer, and later the 100 series was used. At one time
as many as 50 trains a day thundered through town and more on weekends. There
was a train as early as 5:45 a.m.. at 7 cents a ride for commuters, and for
theater-goers, a train as late as 11:45 PM. As the railroad cut through the
Stafford Farm East. the company agreed to build a bridge at Maple Ave. to
carry the farm lane over the tracks. A wide, highly arched bridge of huge
timbers spanned the tracks enabling the Stafford�s to market truck-loads
of marl they dug from a large pit at the foot of the greet. Large deposits
of marl, a greenish-black earth or clay containing carbonate of lime and
used for fertilizer, was then plentiful. By the late 1920's, the prosperity
of the railroad began to decrease. and today the line carries only freight.
The lake and clear crystal springs attracted many vacationers. A 1902 book
published by the Reading Railroad entitled Pleasant Places along the Reading
Railroad, describes Laurel Springs this way:
"Laurel Springs,
NJ. Fare
29 cents;
10-day excursion 46 cents;
�60-trip monthly $5.65.
�Twelve trains each way on weekdays;
four trains each way on Sunday."
The
chief feature here is the great Crystal Spring, said to be the largest in
the United States. It is as clear as crystal and as cold as ice, and its
value as a therapeutic agent has been testified to by numerous physicians.
It offers superior attractions and advantages for a suburban home or summer
residence, combining all the pleasures and amusements of a mountain resort
with the advantage of an all-the-year-round place of residence.
Laurel Lake, over a mile long, surrounded
by a beautiful natural park of old oaks. with beautiful walks. etc., offers
splendid advantages for boating and fishing."
Lake and springs
attract summer visitors
Wealthy Philadelphians and Camdenites
spent their summers here. As early as 1878, the new Crystal Inn was a paying
proposition - until the automobile took business away from the railroad.
Later called the Walt Whitman, the inn accommodated 60 boarders at 5$ to
15 per week. Accessible to the train station at 50 yards; the site is at
the foot of Lindsay on Lakeview Ave., cleared in 1959 to make way for new
homes. On the opposite corner at 704 Lakeview Ave. (now a residence), the
Lakeview Inn accommodated 40 guests at similar rates and was operated by
Mrs. Annie Hazard. Open fields surrounded both hostelries, providing for
softball diamonds and tennis courts.
Early newspapers told of a park,
prettier than any part of Fairmount Park on the Wissahickon. A well-kept
bridle path allowed horseback riding around the lake shore. Canoeing and
rowing were popular pastimes, highlighted by the annual summer regatta from
the boathouses at the foot of Tomlinson Ave. to the country club at the foot
of Walnut Ave. Each decorated canoe or boat competed for prizes as music
and singing drifted across the waters. The clear, crystal lake waters supplied
by numerous springs, sported pickerel. bass, catfish, sunfish, perch and
large quantities of snappers. The lake often froze in winter, providing many
hours of ice skating ... and the water from Crystal Spring sold in Philadelphia
for 15 cents a gallon.
Poet inspired by area's natural beauty
Perhaps the most - famous summer
visitor was poet Walt
Whitman who inspired visitors to come here from all over the U.S. and
England ~ Whitman spent a good portion of his time here between 1876 and
1884, converting one of the Stafford Farm buildings to his summer home at
305 Maple Ave. A part of his Leaves of Grass was written here, and in his
Specimen Days he wrote of the spring, creek and lake. To him, Laurel Lake
was ... "the prettiest lake in: either America or Europe."
He became as minutely acquainted with its (Laurel Lake area's) topography,
scenery, plant and animal life as
Thoreau had
been with Walden Pond," wrote Gay Wilson Allen in his book on Walt Whitman,
The Solitary Singer, Laurel Springs knew Whitman only in the later days of
his life. He was born at West Hills, Long Island, grew up in Brooklyn, and
became a writer and editor, publishing an anti-slavery newspaper, The Freeman.
During the Civil War, Whitman was reluctant to bear arms in the bloody struggle,
believing that love and comradeship would eventually overcome human hate
and fear, and instead, served as a volunteer nurse.
The famed writer had suffered a partial stroke while still in Washington,
and was bothered with arthritis. Mud baths he took near the springs, he claimed,
were responsible for his return to health. To the local residents who came
to the springs for drinking water, he was just "that dirty old man," but
to literary circles as far away as Europe, he was the Good Gray Poet"
Realtors stimulate
development
With the beautiful countryside and
prosing town served by the railroad 1889 marked the advent of real estate
developers. The three farms changed title to these developers - B.A. Tomlinson
Farm east of Laurel Road, purchased by Laurel Springs Realty Co.; Montgomery
Stafford Farm East purchased by West Jersey Title and Guarantee Co., and
Stafford Farm West purchased by Laurel Springs Land Co . These realtors published
their own newspapers to promote sale of lots, and the town became one of
the fastest growing communities in the Philadelphia area.
Tickets for free passage on the railroad encouraged buyers to look at the
real estate values. One could buy an 8-room house with a bath, heater, range
porches, on a lot 50xl50 feet on easy terms -$300 cash and $20 monthly.
The slogan used by the developers was
Laurel Springs - The Place to Live.
A realty company advertisement read:
Laurel
Springs is in the mountains of South Jersey, and is one of the highest points
between Trenton and Atlantic City, commanding magnificent views of the
surrounding country for miles. The location is magnificent and beautiful
beyond description.
Crystal Spring has long been celebrated
-for its medicinal qualities and purity, and has been credited with curing
numerous cases of Kidney and Liver Diseases of long standing, for which It
is acknowledged to be a sure cure as well of other disorders of the stomach
and bowels, Dyspepsia, Indigestion, Diabetes, Rheumatism, Cystitis, etc.
Samuel
Cord, the most notable of the developers published the Laurel Springs Courier,
and his Laurel Springs Land Co. reportedly made $40,000 the first year of
operation. While developing West Laurel Springs (portion lying west of railroad)
Cord built his own large and beautifully landscaped Gray Stone Mansion In
the sector. It was the showplace of the community and later became the borough
hall at W .Atlantic and Tomlinson Ave. In 1889 three areas were surveyed
and laid out in streets and lots.
It was named Laurel Springs due to
the heavy growth of laurel along the lake plus dozens of clear mineral and
sweet water springs. On the original town diagram, Glen Ave, was Hilyard,
Park Ave. was Hemlock, Lakeview was Central and the western portion of Stone
Road was Elm.
Jacob Mick ran the first blacksmith
shop (that building is now a small residence in the rear of 20 E. Atlantic
Ave.) He not only shod horses, but made the iron rods which pulled the
Presbyterian church walls together again when they began to spread. William
D. Youker operated the first post office in town. He worked for Ephraim Tomlinson
as miller at Laurel Mills and left in 1897 to open a general store on the
corner of E. Atlantic and Washington Ave. Later he built a grocery store
up the street (now 322-324 Washington Ave,) which housed the first Bell Telephone
Exchange in one corner. The first telephones were installed in 1902, and
several residents still have their original numbers.
An early leader in town activities
and fire chief for 27 years, Philip Davey built his home at 503 Stafford
Ave, in 1890, Davey was one of Philadelphia's first photo-engravers and conducted
business there for 50 years. Many early pictures of Laurel Springs, often
our only records, exist in good condition thanks to the skill and effort
of this man.
Jacob Ludy came to Laurel Springs in 1902. building his house on the corner
of E. Atlantic and Maple Ave., and organizing the first electric company,
Clementon Township United Electric Improvement Co, The power house was located
on Grand Ave. across from the present sports complex. Ludy's company was
purchased by Electric Company of New Jersey in 1916 and merged with Atlantic
City Electric Co in 1927. He was also one of 1 he first so supporters for
incorporation of Laurel Springs into a borough.
Other progress as noted in the Laurel
Springs Courier of 1906: The coming of the trolleys is booming the town,
work is being pushed as rapidly as possible to Laurel Springs by July 1�
Stone Hood is paved through town at a cost of $8,000� commutation fare
on trains only 7 cents a ride, And from the South Jersey News, 1911: Youker's
store is now brilliantly lighted by gas ... Contractor Joseph Batteii predicted
a mild winter (1912) because of the action of worms during the late fall.
Fire companies also serve as meeting places
On Nov. 18. 1893,13 men met in
the Philadelphia & Atlantic City R.R. station to organize the first volunteer
fire company, Their firehouse was a barn on the Maple Ave. Stafford Farm.
between the railroad bridge and Stone Road, and their first fire-fighting
equipment, a hand drawn hose cart with 2-inch rubber hose and fire buckets.
The alarm sounded from a large 150-pound bell suspended over the firehouse
and could be heard two miles around. Eleven years later after the town grew,
several members who lived on the west side, broke away and formed Laurel
Springs Fire Co. No. 2. Securing a lot on Stone Road, they built a station
(now a residence at 1100 Stone Road) and thanked friends in Cape May who
gave a hand-drawn hose cart. Later they secured a hand-drawn hook and ladder
truck to match Co. No. l's equipment and by 1916 both companies shared a
Model "T" Ford chemical truck. The two companies incorporated in 1938, building
the present headquarters on Tomlinison Ave.
The first local physician, Dr. Frank
B. Cook. arrived in 1907. One of the first in town to buy an automobile,
he always responded to fire alarms and pulled the fire engine to the disaster
scene. Dr. Cook is still remembered for his untiring efforts to check the
severe flu epidemic which raged through most communities during World War
I. He saved many but himself succumbed to the disease in 1918.
Besides maintaining a credible record
fighting Fires , the fire department always pitched in on town activities.
As early as 1894 they took charge of the town Fourth of July celebration
And in the early years before the automobile created a mobile society. the
tire stations were social centers, scheduling any parties, concerts, minstrel
shows, masquerade balls and debates. Their buildings were also meeting places
for religious and other organizations. .the Ladies Auxiliary, a sister
organization. played an important role in the life of the fire company and
town, and today are a well organized active group. Since their earliest days,
fire department volunteers have rendered first aid, cleaned up after storms
helped persons imperiled and given freely of their time� sometimes risking'
their lives in doing so.
Much of the information is from a
1976 Bicentennial publication
produced for the Borough of Laurel Springs.
�
� | � | |
Main Map | ||